Wednesday 10 December 2008

222 days to go: Cropped Cardigan

This cropped cardigan didn't start out life like this.
Here is the original.

Today's cardigan is the result of a recent bit of DIY.

Ever since I got hold of a copy of "Just For The Frill Of It - 25 flirty fabulous styles to make with clothes you already own" by Sonya Nimri, I have been desperate to have a go.
This is the Granny Bolero so named as these original cardigans are popular amongst the more mature ladies who love the sparkly embroidery. Unfortunately they tend to come in drab straight down shapes.
I managed to obtain this cardigan from a "granny" and had a go.
I was rather pleased with the results even thought I am not a very patient sewer.
The colours also matched one of my favourite blouses which is too small for me and the only way I can wear it now is over a vest.
One down - 24 more new ways to experiment with!

I wore...
Boots - Zara
Jeans - Gap
Shirt - Whistles
Vest - Next



6 comments:

Darla said...

Good job! I love altered clothes. Did you ever see the denim shirt I arted up (basically drew on)? Its on my blog somewhere.

Darla

Michelle@Life with Three said...

Ooohhh! I love that! I have some old embellished cardigans that were my grandmother's -- but they're too small for me to wear. Perhaps I could alter them. Was the cardigan a knit? If so, how did you manage to shorten it without unraveling the whole thing?

Sheila said...

What a great idea! Unfortunately, I am total inept at doing this sort of thing...but I admire it in others! Your cardi looks so much cuter now.

Jane said...

Darala - I will check thatout.
Michelle = IT was a knit. You just cut then make some tucks along the bottom and zig zag stitch to protect but give a raw edge look.
Sheila - If I can sew anyone can!

Jane said...

Darala - I will check thatout.
Michelle = IT was a knit. You just cut then make some tucks along the bottom and zig zag stitch to protect but give a raw edge look.
Sheila - If I can sew anyone can!

Unknown said...

Great job..! Cropped cardigan is simply gorgeous. Keep on the good work.